Do you need to get away and feel the wind in your hair and hear the pounding of hooves as they canter down an empty beach?
Then our 4 night 5 day Mini Beach Trail is the perfect escape for you!
The first afternoon you will do an introduction ride to make sure that you have the right horse. Then is off on for 3 days of fabulous riding along the Wild Coast with 2 night stay at either Trennerys or Wavecrest Hotels. The last night is back in Kei Mouth and a final ride on the 5th day over the cliffs at Morgan Bay.
This is a great ride, one that we really love to do.
PLEASE NOTE All riding and itineraries are subject to change due to variations in local conditions, hotel accommodation availability, rider’s abilities, the weather & the influences of the sea tides and during the rainy season the conditions of the rivers at the time of riding.
Day 1: On arrival at East London airport, you will be transferred to Kei Mouth and the beach base of Wild Coast Horse Trails and their equestrian colleagues. A light snack will be served at the Kei Mouth Guest House, and you will change into your riding clothes. Your horse riding adventure starts now! The afternoon ride will take you on an hour or so ride to asses your riding and to make sure that we have matched you to the right horse. You will go down to the river mouth and you will have a chance to have your first canter along our beautiful beaches. Overnight and dinner at Kei Mouth Guest House.
Day 2: Today we start our overnight beach adventure! It is a full days riding along the coast, and the scenery is simply stunning. There is a good chance of spotting dolphins racing us in the surf as we canter long the many beaches. Lunch is a picnic and a chance to soak up the sun and sea before heading off the hotel in the afternoon. Overnight and dinner at Wavecrest Hotel.
Day 3: The departure time this morning is dictated by the tide. It a fantastic 3-hour ride either up the beach and back across country through rolling hills and traditional villages or the other way around, depending on the tides. Either way you get to ride on the hard, wet beach at low tide – the gallops are exhilarating. We are back at the hotel in time for lunch. Alternatively, if the weather and tides are favorable we may take a picnic. This afternoon has a choice of activities. You can take a boat trip up the river and explore the stunning mangrove estuary of the Nxaxo river by canoe or boat, hike or just kick back and relax in the Jacuzzi! – this afternoon is flexible as there are so many options to experience!!! Overnight and dinner at Wavecrest Hotel
Day 4: Today we start our journey back to Kei Mouth. We ride inland this morning, crossing the river high up and away from the tides influence. The slay paths and track offer great canters as we wind our way back to the beach. Then we head towards Kei Mouth and the pontoon crossing before dropping the horses off at the paddocks before we have a late lunch at one of the local restaurants. Then it is a time to wander back to the guest house, and your final night on the Wild Coast. Overnight and dinner at Kei Mouth Guest House.
Day 5: On your last morning we will explore the cliffs and village of Morgan Bay and have one last canter down the beach. You will be able to shower and change before departure and promises of returning to do another great Wild Coast Horse Trail.
Good to know
- ALL participants are required to sign a recreational release and indemnity form
- All riders are required to wear a protective riding hat
- Weight limit is 95 kg
- This is a horse riding holiday, and guests should be comfortable in walk, trot & canter for up to 3 or 4 hours in the saddle at a time
- Light breakfast (cereal, toast, yogurt, fruit, preserves, tea and coffee)
- Pub lunches or packed lunch for picnics
- Evening dinners
- Drinks. Water bottles will be provided while out riding
- Guest will be required to pay for all extra soft drinks, wine, beer and any other beverage when out for lunch, at restaurants and at the hotel bars (there is a bottle store just around the corner from the guest lodge if other beverage is required)
- Items of a personal nature
- Spa treatments
- Jodhpurs or riding pants
- Riding chaps or long boots
- Own hard hat
- Shorts for walking and hiking
- Walking shoes or boots to ride in
- Slip slops or sandals
- A couple of light long sleeved shirts with collars to protect you from the sun while riding
- T shirts and tops
- Light long trousers. Jeans will do
- Smart outfit for dinner in the evenings
- Warm clothing 1 X jersey (jumper/fleece) to ride in, and a nice one for the evenings!
- A good warm rain proof coat
- Light weight rain jacket/wind breaker that will be tied to your saddle
- Sun block. Factor 30 to 50!
- Swimming costume and swimming towel
- A torch (Flashlight)
- A camera and binoculars (battery charger) & adapter!
- Reading material
- Other items of a personal nature
- Enough cash to cover your drinks and spa treatments and other items of a personal nature (credit cards accepted)
- Comfortable long pants
- Shoes that stay on (trainers are fine)
- Face mask
Looking for more of the best tours, activities and experiences?
Lovely horses, mine just enough of a "challenge" to keep me riding and not get bored. Roz is a lovely guide and made sure that I was more than happy all the time. The waterfall was stunning 🤠🐎🐎🤠 and I could not believe how much amazing riding country and beach there was.
Looking forward my next ride.
Absolutely first class experience. Roz and Jess are great guides and the views or the Kei and Morgans bay amazing. You need to try this.
Wild Coast Horse Riding Adventures have been running incredible trails along one of the most diverse coastlines for the past 15 years. As a guide, I lead those trails for years and loved every second of it. The horses were too incredible for words - surefooted, responsive and reliable. All the saddles are Leon Liversage, making for a comfortable ride for both horse and human. If you haven't ridden the Wild Coast yet, it's time to put it on your bucket list.
I was apprehensive about my centre-based and mini trail week when I found I was the only guest for half the week and the other half with a Frenchman, but it worked brilliantly; the staff made me feel part of the team. It was a really wonderful fun week. Stunning, untouched landscapes, miles of perfect beaches for fast riding, excellent, well loved horses and lovely staff. Highly recommended
Unsafe horses. Arabian horses. Only for very experienced riders. Take a good helmet and vest! Lovely area.
Medium Cancellation Policy
The guest can cancel free of charge until 48 hours before arrival. The guest will be charged the total price if they cancel in the 48 hours days before arrival.
Terms & Conditions
The beauty of Table Mountain, Lions Head and the Atlantic Sea Board coastline from the comfort of our kayaks is unrivalled. Dolphins, seals, penguins, Sunfish and occasionally whales frequent our Cape Town.